When it comes to vegetarian or vegan cooking, it can be hard to come up with ideas, especially during the BBQ season.
Seitan is an unknown vegan protein that is a very good alternative to meat. Native to Asia, seitan is high in protein and low in fat. Like meat, seitan grills easily and soaks up the flavor of the dish in which it appears.
To familiarize yourself with this food, we offer a skewer (kebab) of Mediterranean seitan. This dish invites conviviality; it is shared between family and friends.
Servings : 6 skewers
Preparation : 30 minutes
Marinade : 4 hours
Cooking : 6 minutes (BBQ) ou 20 minutes (Oven)
1 block of GUSTA Kebab-Shawarma seitan bread with oriental spices
1⁄4 cup of olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
6 fresh mint leaves
2 cloves garlic
Suggestions of toppings
Hummus and/or baba ganouj
Romaine lettuce, spinach and / or arugula Cherry tomatoes
Slices of red onions
- Slice the seitan into tongues 1/4 inch thick.
- Place the slices of seitan in a square container and cover with marinade.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425oF or BBQ.
- Slice the marinated seitan strips into triangles. Assemble the skewers using 10 to 12 pieces of seitan previously cut. Sprinkle the skewers of the marinade.
- Grill brochettes for 20 minutes in the oven or 6 minutes on the BBQ.
- In the meantime, set up a Mediterranean platter with the fillings of your choice.
- Serve the seitan kebabs on pita breads or on a bed of greenery.
Enjoy your meal!
Véronique Cousineau; ND, RHN
In collaboration with La Boîte à grains