20 min Prep
GUSTA Ground Layer
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ yellow Onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of Garlic, pressed
- 350g GUSTA Original Veggie Ground
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- ¼ cup (120ml) Dry Red Wine (can sub with vegetable stock)
- ¼ cup finely chopped Fresh Parsley, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
- ½ cup (120ml) Tomato Purée
- ½ cup (120ml) vegetable Stock
- 1 large Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- ½ cup vegan Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (1 litre) Almond Milk, at room temp
- 1 cup (80g) freshly grated GUSTA Mozzarella Style cheese, plus extra to serve
- 1/2 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp agar
- 2 Eggplants/Aubergine, sliced lengthwise 1/3" thickness
- Vegetable oil enough to cover eggplant in the pan (should have 2 inches)
- Few pinches of Parsley (to sprinkle in between layers)
- Salt & Pepper, as needed
Ground GUSTA Layer
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan or pot over medium heat. Add onion and fry until it softens, then add in garlic and cook for an extra 1-2 min. Add in Ground GUSTA and break up with a wooden spoon until fully browned (5 min).
- Stir in tomato paste and wine and simmer for 2 min. Deglaze the pan if needed, then pour in tomato paste and vegetable stock. Add in parsley, thyme, cinnamon, salt, pepper & bay leaf and give it a good stir. Keep on a gentle simmer for around 30mins, stirring occasionally until thick.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt on both sides of the eggplant. In a large high edged frying pan, add enough oil to fry one eggplant at a time.
- Heat oil to 340°F (170°C) and cook the eggplants one at a time until lightly golden on each side. Let them rest on paper towels on each side.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt vegan butter. Stir in flour to create a paste then gradually begin whisking in your almond milk. Once you've poured in all the milk and the sauce is thick, stir in salt and nutmeg.
- Take off the heat and add the agar to the sauce and stir until well combined.
- Take 1/2 cup of the sauce and stir it into the ground GUSTA.
- Add 2 layers of eggplant to the baking dish and sprinkle over a hefty pinch of parsley, salt & pepper. Spread over the Ground GUSTA layer, top with the rest of your eggplant then top with the Béchamel sauce and finish with Mozzarella Style GUSTA Cheese.
- Place baking dish in the oven at 180˚C/350˚F for 35-45mins, or until golden on top. Let rest 15 mins. Sprinkle some more parsley on top and serve.
StatsMore fun facts!
Is the percentage of Canadians who call themselves vegan or vegetarian.