30 min Prep
15 min Cooking
- 8 GUSTA Vegan dog
- 1 cup GUSTA Mozzarella Style cheese
- 2/3 cups water warm
- 1/2 tbsp sugar granulated
- 1/2 tsp salt, kosher reduce amount if using table salt
- 1/2 tbsp yeast, active dry
- 2,5 cups flour all purpose
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
- ½ Tbsp Vegetable oil
- Baking Soda Bath
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- Vegan Egg Wash
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Coarse salt or Pretzel Salt
- Combine warm water, sugar, salt, and yeast. Stir and allow it to sit for 4-5 minutes. A layer of foam will form on the top.
- To a medium bowl, add flour, the yeast slurry, and melted butter. Knead with hands until the dough becomes stretchy and uniform.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and lightly grease it with olive oil, then return back into the bowl and cover with a tea towel. Let rise for 1 hour.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Take a golf ball-sized piece of dough.
- Shape into a 25-inch rope
- Wrap it around the full length of the sausage, looping and pinching the ends of the rope inside.
- Bring water and baking soda to a rolling boil.
- One by one, place the pretzel dogs into the boiling soda water for 30 seconds.
- With a slotted spoon remove them and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush on “egg” wash mixture and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Wipe off any excess soda water that has fallen onto the baking sheet and place in oven.
- Bake until golden brown in color, about 9-12 minutes.
- Let cool 1-2 minutes and serve with ketchup and mustard.
StatsMore fun facts!
The water consumption required for 1 kg of beef is 8 times higher than for 1 kg of wheat.